The former Fourth Military Medical University, formerly known as Medical School under Northwest Shanxi Military Area Command, was founded in 1941, and moved into Xi’an in November 1948. It has successively been renamed as People’s Medical College of Northwest Military Area Command and the First Military Medical College of PLA. In October 1952, it was renamed as the Fourth Military Medical University of PLA under the command of Central Military Commission. The university had ever been subordinate to the former General Logistics Department of PLA, and had been transferred under the Management Department of Central Military Commission in December 2015. It was put under the administration of air force organizational system leadership in June 2017. Air Force Medical University was formally established in July 2017.